Women of Color Caucus
OAESV is proud to partner with the Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN) to convene the statewide Women of Color Caucus (WOCC). We recognize the isolation, frustration, anger, lack of representation and invisibility felt by women of color in the domestic violence, sexual assault and other social service movements. The WOCC knows that we must strengthen the bonds between us, and together in collective action, give women of color opportunities to be active leaders in our agencies, state and national coalitions. As equals, we strive to create a strong support network.
The WOCC is a group of diverse women concerned about the violence against women of color. We are committed to developing leadership in women, community education, and efforts that will influence policy and systems to more effectively respond to and improving the lives of all women.
Download the WOCC Brochure (with membership form) HERE
The Ohio WOCC shall be known as a truly diverse women of color caucus - made of many cultures and ethnic groups. We define women of color broadly to include any woman that lives as a member of an oppressed group based on race, culture and/or ethnicity on a daily basis. We are recognized as a national best practice model for caucusing based on our ability to be a powerful group involved in the community with a clear voice that influences and changes policy.
- Ethical Communication
- Mutual Respect
- Safe Spaces for Women of Color
- Community Trust
- Support and Problem Solving
- Appreciation for the whole person
Benefits of WOCC Membership
Becoming a member of the WOCC offers you the opportunity to socialize, enjoy peer support and receive professional development information in a safe and supportive environment.
We value our members as our greatest asset and promote the personal and professional wellbeing of each individual. We believe that the WOCC has the potential to become an integral part in the lives of all our members.
The WOCC is committed to the professional advancement of our members and through our statewide listserv: email@example.com. Members have access to:
- Networking Opportunities & Social Events
- Ongoing Support from other Women of Color
- Updates on Conferences and Trainings
- Employment Opportunities
- Skill Building and Professional Development
WOCC Meetings & Events
2020 WOCC Meetings
- March 6, 2020 (Lima, Ohio)
- March 21, 2020 (Two Days in May; Columbus, Ohio)
- August 6-7, 2020 (Leadership Summit; Cleveland, Ohio)
- November 6, 2020 (Warren, Ohio)
Download the WOCC flyer HERE for more information.
Annual Leadership Institute
Annually, the WOCC holds a Women of Color Leadership Institute that focuses on the issues and topics specifically related to the unique challenges faced by women of color working in the anti-violence field. Information on the 2020 event will be posted on the WOCC listserv.
News and WOCC Statements
- Women of Color Caucus Position Statement: Prisons and Jails During COVID-19
- Registration for the Women of Color Caucus 2019 Leadership Summit is now open!
- April 24, 2019: A Statement on R. Kelly from the Women of Color Caucus
- From #MeToo to #BlaseyFord to #Surviving RKelly: Connecting Rape Crisis Centers to Black Survivors in the Movement (2019)
- Ohio Woman of Color Caucus Call to Action Statement: Taking Action to Break Through Barriers (2014)