The Role of a State Coalition
As a statewide coalition, OAESV provides training, technical assistance, guidance, and resources regarding the prevention of and response to sexual violence in Ohio. We are not a rape crisis center and are not equipped to provide 24/7 crisis support, nor do we have the authority to investigate any case, to intervene in any investigation, or to initiate any formal action against any agency or individual, including police departments. If you are in need of crisis support, please contact the rape crisis center in your community, or call the Ohio Sexual Violence Helpline at 844-OHIO-HELP.
OAESV has two contract advocates on staff who are able to provide assistance to survivors in areas of the state that do not have a rape crisis center. These advocates can provide emotional support, systems advocacy, accompaniment to police stations or courts, and information and resources. For more information about our victim advocates, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OAESV has a Staff Attorney and a Legal Advocate who can work with survivors and rape crisis centers regarding legal needs and resources. Please note that in most circumstances, OAESV is not able to provide direct legal representation for survivors. We can, however, provide information regarding your legal rights, as well as resources regarding criminal justice or civil legal issues related to your victimization.
Online Resources for Survivors
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network online chat service
- Crime Victims Rights Toolkit from the Ohio Crime Victims Justice Center
- VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday)
- Ohio's Safe at Home Program (address confidentiality program)
- Ohio Crime Victims Compensation Program
- Ohio Sex Offender Registry
Fact Sheets for Survivors
- Understanding Trauma
- Understanding PTSD
- Disclosing Sexual Violence: Telling Others About the Crime
- Forensic Exam Fact Sheet
- Campus Sexual Assault Victim Rights
- Supporting a Loved One
- Social Media Groups for Survivors: Facts & Resources
- Sexual Assault of Patients by Physicians
- Therapeutic Approaches to Healing from Trauma