The Importance in Supporting Our Staff
Why should we show support to our staff?
- keep them from overworking themselves.
- More than 50% of staff may say that they feel unvalued, underappreciated, unheard, among other things.
- It will show in their job performance.
- The engagement level from the staff will increase.
- Their passion will increase.
- It will make them feel empowered and valued.
- The overall performance of the organization and/or program will increase.
- Better engagements with survivors and other organizations.
What can happen if the staff feels overworked?
If the staff feels overworked it can cause higher stress levels that can then lead to major health consequences such as:
- Weight gain
- High Blood Pressure
- Hair Loss
Why is it important for programs to highlight their staff?
- Lets the staff know that they are doing a wonderful job.
- Makes them feel that they are valuable to the program.
What are some ways we can highlight our staff?
- Create an employee of the month
- Have your staff create a quote using the template in our SAAM Packet and post it, with their photo, on your program's social media
- Ask your staff what are some things that they think should be added to the program
What should we provide our staff to keep from feeling overworked?
- Provide them with opportunities to grow their knowledge & skills.
- Show them appreciation.
- Provide them with a paid lunch.
- Provide them with self-care days
- Provide them with paid time off allowance
- Do raffles where they can win some of the following (free lunch, half-day off, a free gift) it doesn't have to be every month.
This link talks more about self-care in the workplace.